Saturday, March 6, 2010

The way it changed for the worst.

A series of events that now makes some real sense as how it screwed me….

Event One: I get a call from an unknown number and it happens to be my to-be manager at the organization I am about to join. He informs me that my profile has been shared with the client and I am supposed to attend a call with them the next day night and it is supposed to be a technical discussion about my profile and things I have done. He further confirms with me if I will be joining them for sure. I say a big Yes and he enquires about my knowledge on a framework which I hadn’t worked ever on. I tell that frankly and he says that it will be good for me to come on board and learn something new and work on it at a new organization. New things at a new place always are good and interesting. That is all he says, the call happens the next day and the client makes transparent the fact that they expect a 140-200% of me for the project deliverables. I start looking forward to a challenging technical role with loads of work to do. I feel excited.

Event two: Without any formal induction I land up on the project after the paper formalities with the HR and the next day a lady starts the KT (Knowledge Transfer) for the new product I am supposed to work on. I wait and wait and listen all through the sixty minutes to get the point that there is no technology involved. It is all about a tool which needs to be configured as per the client requirements. No Java/J2EE or frameworks and not even a single module. All it is about is business rules and domain knowledge. I hit a wall. I fall flat and it hurts a lot. I was expecting technology and it is all about business. If I stay on, I need to have to take a second look at my profile for an MBA or, sit there and do the work which is of no interest to me. A little above three years in IT doesn’t feel good about only business and no technology.

Event Three: After interacting with others in the team and a few people who are in the organization for more than three years I gain a few insights like the whole of my business unit doesn’t have any technical modules and also earned the surprise of a few of them when they heard that they actually conducted a technical round for selection on such a project and that there was a guy from some other project who was moved here and he left to god-knows-where after his KT was over and that a three year old in this project, as his module is going to be over, is asking for a release for the last two months and the manager says that he needs him to build the team. I now feel cheated. I was promised by the recruitment HR and the manager of a very pure technical role. I was not even called for a five minutes explanation as to what might have gone wrong regarding that. I am back to job search and it is two days before when I joined this organization and I am supposed to explain all these to wherever I go.

I don’t have any aversion towards learning business but I feel that I need to get dirtier with technology before I start considering the business and the way it moves. I still need another two years to serve the technology to have satisfied my thirst for it. I will stick to that inner voice. Someday, someone out there will listen to this voice of mine and consider me worthy of employment. Hope it happens soon…..and that is all about my last four days.

2 comments:

  1. awww garf i feel so bad..this is one ting i hate about organizations these days..i think the best option for you is to keep looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The situation that you have explained above sounds like as if you have landed in the same company as I am in. Here also its all about business requirements and domain, nothing technical .. me too feel cheated :(

    ReplyDelete