Monday, November 9, 2009

The 1st day of...



I never had perseverance. And I am god-like when it comes to procrastination. I have countless tales from the last 26 years to prove them and I have applied them to every corner of my life. And the corner I am presently concerned about is exercising. I wasn’t born fat. I became fat. That was again not my fault. I had undergone a heart operation which pushed my parents beyond any imaginable limits of care. Certain steps were taken to ensure that I didn’t have any physical activities to be done. A maid used to carry my bags to and from the school and my evenings, when every other kid around was busy and lost into sports, were usually spent painting or sleeping. The results were strikingly disastrous by the time when I really started caring about my shapes.

My first take on exercising happened in the college when I used to learn steps from aerobic programs being telecasted in the national television and I would close my room pretending to be reading and would try them out. Somehow I managed drastic changes. With my diet under my constant scrutiny and my secret well kept inside my room with me, I had lost more than twenty kilos in four months. I was good for the world and to me too.

My four years at engineering was marred with habits which included four-five boozing assignments a week and I had developed a love for chicken and eggs by then. A Garfield fan that I was, I was no better than a potato-couch. I was the lazy king of my lot and making me move was beyond the logical capability of any soul around. I have many things which I wanted to do as a kid. Martial Arts used to be one of them. Engineering gave me the freedom and opportunity to have it in my life. I was there, practicing one month and taking a break of two or more. Eventually my teacher over there happened to like me for my reason that I always would go back after a break and though his passion never deterred, my physique surely did. Things worsened in the final year and obesity had taken over me again. I had gained those kilos again.
I got started with my job and within a few months which I took to convince me that I really needed to exercise, I started hitting the GYM. That was the worst thing I could have done. I would go in for two days and something practical like client deliverables or a row with my love over phone or a lazy morning would break it. The make and breaks continued. The longest that I can remember to have stuck at the GYM was around twenty days last winter when I would somehow manage things inside me and get out there. I visited my home place and a gap of seven days was enough for me to be a failure again.

I firmly believe that the things you get are the ones which you want, badly. My people kept on telling me about my positive slope of increments dimensionally and I kept on listening. That was all I could have done. It wasn’t a time to act. But today, starting a few weeks, I have this voice which agrees to what they said. It feels to me like I really want it this time and that I would make miles before I give up. And today I spent my first morning at it. I still don’t know how many I would be able to manage. Only time will tell how badly I wanted it this time……

3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure there is nothing divine about procrastination. ;) Keeping healthy in this day-and-age is difficult for everyone it seems. Between escalators and cars, there's no need to use our legs. We sit for hours at a computer. We chose quick over healthy when it comes to meals. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey i'm sure you're gonna make it..best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck buddy. that is all I can say. xo

    ReplyDelete