Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Marriages


Everyone is getting married. Everyone eventually does. But when you see everyone around, going for it, that’s when you realize that someday you are going to be that everyone.

I still don’t understand marriages and more so when it’s a love marriage. It always looks to me as a social mandate than a personal fulfillment. Nothing changes after marriage. We love each other, we believe each other, we know and understand each other, we fight each other and we can/can’t stay with/without each other. None of it changes with marriage. Then why the marriage…?

Of all the reasons that I have come across the most popular one’s have been “it enforces faith, togetherness and security of a relationship”, “it is a social ritual”, “it takes one to be old to realize it’s true meaning” and “it is necessary as at least my parents or my partner wants it”. Read each of them carefully. The more you dwell on them, the more you feel like they all imply the same message: marriage isn’t necessary, it’s just a habit. If a social ceremony is going to get us the faith, the bondage and the security of my relationship, I don’t belong to this century. If a social ritual is what I have to care about, I would like to see how the society cares about me after my marriage or has been caring about me. If I need to grow old and realize the true meaning of marriage, I better die than waste my years waiting to understand something at an age when I am supposed to lose majority of my brain power for understanding. If all I care about is my parents and my wife, I should do it, but I also deserve a fair explanation for the act.

Some other reasons that I came across are “it’s a singular lifetime occasion to celebrate” and “it’s a dream”. For the former I would like to say that just as a mortal is unable to stop himself/herself from marriage, no one would ever stop him/her from such multiple occasions. When someone gets married, I always see the people who attend being happiest of the lot. They come, they enjoy, they eat and they leave. No where on earth can you get a better deal. As for the latter, I wonder how the celebration of an occasion can be dream. The word “dream” gets belittled when you use it for marriage. The occasion is that of union and getting together and being bonded and love is what it amount to and you already have it. Love as a dream sounds ideal and real. Marriage as a dream sounds as a one-liner motive explanation of some marriage organizing committee. “Wish” would have been more apt.

I am not aware of any other reasons as to why people marry. If anyone of you knows of any other reasons as to why marriage is so huge a necessity, please chip in your comments. I would love to enlighten myself…..

Image Source

4 comments:

  1. Marriage is a commitment and not an obligation. It's not a necessity unless you feel that way about it. It's a personal choice not a societal decision.

    One should the tie the knot only because the couple wants to not because they HAVE to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Scribbler: I agree. That sounds correct and good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice views.
    Makes me sit up and ponder over the marriages happening all around me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Dev: Thanks. I feel elated...

    ReplyDelete