Friday, November 5, 2010

My Winter Trip: Canada


Image Source

The current cloud on my mind has “Canada” written all over it. Ideally, if you are working in IT in India and you have 4+ years of experience and you haven’t visited the US/Other lands, people often conclude effortlessly that something is wrong with you.

I had the opportunity to become sane and belong to the common crowd, thrice. But I didn’t have a passport. It took me a big 7 months to get that. And when the fourth opportunity came for me to go abroad, recession became a hero. I never died over these as I never felt the urge to go.

Today I need bucks. Love for other lands and foreign currency is growing day by day. I seek a good 4-5 years abroad. With no idea how, I am asked if I would be fine for a month’s trip to Canada during Nov-Dec months at work. I aimed for years and I got a month. I asked for options, tried declining, stated issues and failed. I had to be there. I was required for a server side change to the application which has to be done before the Christmas. A chaotic 10 days followed until I submitted my passport for VISA approval yesterday.

The wait begins. The wait for something I am not interested in. No one is sure if a VISA to Canada is possible this sooner. But if it is, I am really scared about quite a few things. Firstly, Money: I wonder what good would I make out of the heavy winter clothes I would be buying for my travel once I am back to India and I am staring at a big shopping list. Secondly, Winter: Of what I have heard, I am lost as to how I would survive those freezing temperatures. My body never works well with cold.

Apart from a good exposure to my Canadian counterparts, I am at a loss to figure out any other good that this trip might do to me. Being opportunist isn’t easy.

4 comments:

  1. Canada in Nov./Dec. isn't all that bad, just depends where you're headed. Layers are key, and a good shot of Canadian Rye will always warm you up, buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ravirants: Yeah...i heard about the layers as i googled a bit for Canadian winters. And i am certainly looking forward to the Canadian Rye...btw..u seem to know a good deal abt Canadian Winter? Anything in particular that makes you say these... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ravirants: Cool...am coming in jan...c yah.. :-)

    ReplyDelete