Sunday, November 7, 2010

Toastmasters & Me


Going to clubs alone for the first time doesn’t feel nice. Someone by your side always feels better. But not every time people around you share what you might be interested in. In those cases, venturing alone is the only option.

I had heard of Toastmasters a lot. I had read about it all over the blogs. And if you are one of those souls who are dying for an MBA and know what profile building is all about you better go and read about it. It’s a non-profit organization that targets improvement in your elocution traits. You also get to know a lot of people, you get to know how your body language is, how your eye contact is while you are speaking and you also get an opportunity to do something somewhere where there are no bars. It runs on the “everyone learns from everyone” model. Typically, they meet twice a month. Every meet has three sections: prepared speeches (people give prepared speeches related to their level before everyone and their assigned reviewer), impromptu speeches (people are randomly chosen to speak for 2 minutes on any topic decided upon) and review session (the reviewers discuss a critical analysis of their assigned speakers’ speeches and suggest as to whether they cleared their level). For those who find 2 hours a long stretch, they do break in between for 10 minutes for snacks.

It was nice out there. Although being there for the first time, they didn’t make me feel the same. I felt pretty much a part of the group. People are nice, eager learners who work hard to achieve and prove their cause for their presence perfectly. It is inspiring and a lot is in store for people eager to master the art of speeches. Personally, I am not a public person and I do share the same cold feet as others. I went there with no decisions made and tried exploring what they do and what it is all about. I am convinced now that it would be great to join them. But before I do that, I need to ask myself more about it. With me, things always start but sadly, they just start. I never reach the end. To reach the end is what I am looking for this time.

Image Source

No comments:

Post a Comment