Monday, April 12, 2010

Summer '82 - Summer '10

“Summer”……the frames from childhood days are still clear and deep set. We used to have two mango trees. One was in the backyard, the bigger one and the desi one. It used to bear the fruit in galore. All through the afternoons you can hear the ripe ones falling down. I used to rush out with a screaming cautious caring mother behind me on her heels to protect me from the warm summer winds known as the Loo. But, what used to be on my mind was always the black crow, sitting up in the branches, my competitor. And also fresh are those nights, when I used to sit with my father, outside in the garden lawn watching the stars amidst the cool air flowing by with the summer flowers all around us. And how can I forget those morning cuckoos when I used to go cycling to the mountains to try out some summer adventure. Then there used to be the “summer vacation”..the vacation…..which kept us going all through the year at school…..stuffed with all that I like. It was simple. It was a carefree world. It was freedom. It was the joy of expression. It was my faithfulness to me and my soul. It was all about being me. Those days were undoubtedly the best summers of my life. The more I grow with years, the sweeter they seem to get.

Today, the “Summer” is no fun. Today my summers are all about suggestions. Sometimes it is me suggesting my roommate to mimic me and put all the clothes inside the fridge and wear them after sometime or sometimes it is him suggesting me to hug three chilled bottles of water to get a feel of being alive. In-house activities are now centered mostly round the fridge and thankfully, I don’t have to share my coffee with anyone these days. Almost no one seems to be interested for the drink. Ice cubes have lost their glory due to their downtime. Water bottles have come out as the clear winner. And to add a bit of nature to our ongoing fight to survive, we are having a watermelon for the dinner. Taking multiple baths is no more an option. Water is scheduled now for an hour in the morning and thanks to my manager, I am the lucky one to get it first in the morning as I rush for my office with dreamy eyes and a heart full of hatred. I certainly don’t want to miss these summers in future…….

3 comments:

  1. No fun! I can't stand the heat. Keep hydrated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As kids summer vacations are the most awaited..no one nags you to study...no one stops you from eating loads of icecream which is prohibited otherwise lest you fall sick and miss school...there are no deadlines for watching tv...and on and on..simple...its FUN TIME!

    As grown ups our summers are a stark contrast :(
    The fact that irregular water supply and load shedding have become a norm now doesn't make it any easier! :(

    Hope the air-conditioning in your office doesn't get affected too :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even the AC gets switched off by 6:30 everyday....and no AC at all on weekend office....

    ReplyDelete