Sunday, December 19, 2010

My 2010


Another year comes to an end. The habit of putting in 2010 has to end soon. There won’t be another chance to re-live it. It would forever remain a special one for me. As I always love doing, let me retrospect and try revisiting all the major turns and corners of 2010.

The good ones go as below:

1. I got recruited. I got offers from multiple organizations. I successfully shifted whenever I needed to. To add more to that, I had shifted twice this year. I know that is bad. I say that is good because I ended up in one of the major Investment Banks of the world. I know where I started and I know where I am today.

2. My love got recruited. Believe me you all, this is the best part of this year. This singular fact makes me say that I am never gonna forget 2010 ever in my life. You say it’s no big deal. I say it is. I know what I was into, what we were into and what she was into. It was so big a relief; it was so much needed, it was so essential for us that I don’t even mind terming 2010 as the best year of my life till date.

3. This year gave me football. I was always crazy about it. But in the past few years, I wasn’t living and thinking it. Now I do. I always love madness. Today when I stay awake till 3 AM in the night for matches of Barcelona, I really feel good. It makes me feel I am alive. I have even surpassed my English Premier League fan-friends in covering La-Liga and Champions League. I must Seria-A and Bundesliga are in queue too. The passion for the game which the world cup ignited doesn’t seem to end.

4. I was never appreciated at work. Today I am. I have also been asked to visit US and Canada. That’s not a biggie. Well, it is. It is so new to me that I am not going to let go the feeling. I must admit that it’s very dear to me. I am not someone who can manipulate and oil people up the hierarchy. And when being the person that I am gets things because I deserved it, it deserves to be remembered.

5. I traveled a lot this year, for fun. I had been to Bhandardara, a beautiful hill station near Mumbai and Goa on an official team offsite meet. While the earlier was really crazy with all friends and love and trekking into the hills and having good time, the latter was all about boozing carefree, exquisite lodging experience and flight travels for free. Had it not been for my documents, I would also have travelled to Canada and US this year. Nez…

The bad ones go as below:

1. I scheduled my GMAT exam, forgot the scheduled date and wrongly thought it to be the next day. No one does that. These days, something pretty wrong is on with me and dates. I keep messing them all the time. I lost a good deal of money and my 2 Months. It was hard to get over it.

2. I gave up MBA. Today I can say a NO to an MBA for at least the next three years. I would have loved to do that. But I realized the hard way that I need bucks to take care of my dependents. MBA needs motivation. Motivation is the last thing you can expect of yourself when you have money and responsibilities at hand. The hour asks me to make a difference. I have to try. I had to give up on my MBA dreams.

3. At the start of the year, I moved out of a brokerage firm and got myself into a service based organization. That was a huge mistake. I should have expected bad things to happen when I am moving out of a product based firm. I got amongst people who played politics, who never cared for what I know and soon I found myself doing work which ideally suits graduates fresh out of college. I gave my days and nights for accusations and manipulative mails undermining my merit. I had to give up. I gave up in 3 months, much sooner than what I had expected. I got into a major investment bank. It was great but I did that at the cost of another organization experience on my profile and with a 0% hike. To the people who see my profile today and to me, we only understand how all of this looks today.

4. I got my parents over to stay with me. I always thought that my being the only son added to their woes and left them lonely. I was wrong. They stayed here for six months and they are worse here. They miss their place, they don’t have anyone to talk to, they feel being caged and all of it makes them behave in weird ways. So they are going back. All of this was a big mistake. I did it as I thought of saving bucks as we stayed together. I never thought that staying together was the last thing on their minds.

5. I have become possessed about money. My needs have taken care of me. I always used to be the one who joked about going abroad and my friends know how badly I hated the thought of being left alone in a far off land. I have given them nightmares with my logic and views over the same. It’s the same me which is now in the cat race of going onsite, working abroad and earning bucks. Certainly it’s not the old me anymore. The currency seems to matter a lot to me now. Staying alone doesn’t scare me anymore. I am excited and hopeful about my new thoughts but I am scared too. On the whole, I feel the change which has come in me, is bad. Who likes being driven by money?

That was 2010 for me. I always get emotional and sentimental about the year coming to an end. It always reminds me that nothing stays the same, ever. That change is the only constant makes more sense during this time of the year. But I also wonder what all of this is about. I hope that I am able to do all of this the next year too. And I wish the same for all of you too. Life is strange. As one of my favorite movie quotes go "Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you get".

Image Source

No comments:

Post a Comment