Monday, January 24, 2011

My Trip to Toronto - 2

Today my life started at Toronto. Till now, it was just the wait for work is why I am here. The morning started for me quite early which has never been the case with me since years or may be never before. It started at 5 Am which usually is 9 AM for me in India.

It’s strange how life differs over the time zones. While I am trying to brush my teeth and get ready, my fellow mates at India are wrapping up their Monday. It’s simple for the world rotates yet amazing for that makes lives so different. Nez…the first news of the morning was a good one and a bad one. My love starts working from 1st March instead of 1st may. That’s bad for her stay with me for 3 months before she joins work has to be cancelled. That implies a more-lonely me back when I am at India. And it’s good because she would get paid which implies my salary increases and I start getting more bucks for us to live. I now feel that it’s more bad and little good. Nothing can be a substitute than to live together when you are in a distance relationship.

It started falling snow the moment it hit the clock at 6. And it never stopped. It came to become the coldest day of the year at Toronto. It was my first day and I didn’t have the slightest idea as to where my workplace was. I started out in the snow as I felt my nose going numb……and after managing to call up my colleague at the work place and having walked more than a kilometer as I tried not to fall on the snow covered lanes and not to freeze with the cold air I was breathing in, I finally reached where I was expected. Everything can never go right for me. So, the remote desktop didn’t work out. I wasn’t able to check my mails. I did some coding as was needed for the day and started back home at 5PM. That’s really a good thing about working anywhere except India. You come on time, you don’t any shit at work like play TT or gossip around or go for long breaks and you finish your work on time to head home early. That really makes you aware of how important the work life balance is.

Oopss..…I forgot my lunch hour. My team brought boxes and so there was no one who could accompany me. It was again an adventure waiting for me. So I started out and as I asked the other fellow member in the lift, he helped me out as we talked about our work. That’s another good thing about not being in India. I don’t say that Indians aren’t friendly but that the people here are more reachable. I would have thought twice if I were to ask someone at India and would have never dared had it been a girl. Here humanity matters more. You can feel it. And it feels good. Well, amidst a hundred shops and thousand unknown faces, I decided for a roasted chicken sandwich and a diet coke. My lunch ended in 15 minutes as I watched people around and that was it.

Evening walk back to my hotel room had similar colors as the morning but it wasn’t that cold either or might be that I am getting accustomed to it. MacDonald’s has an outlet nearby and I did deserve a value meal after countless cup noodles, cakes and biscuits. I got that packed and as I write this, I am already done with my hot French fries. The burger and the coke have to wait for the dinner. I got my Skype credit charged up today. Hopefully, now I would be able to make some calls to India for cheap. And before I end my post, the last feather in my cap of Toronto would be that I finally was able to brew coffee using the coffee maker. Google is all you need when there is no help available. My first brewed coffee doesn’t taste bad, if I am to be realistic. That implies my tomorrow morning should start on a good note.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Garf!
    It's been a long time since I visited your blog, or any other blog (including my own) and I see that you have changed the look of it. I love the new colour scheme and layout.

    I am an Indian living in India and must agree to most of your remarks on the country. It's getting better here though, at least in the bigger cities. Still, the narrow-mindedness and the gender-gap has a long way to go before reached the standards of Toronto.

    Glad you are having a good time. Keep posting. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sandy: Hi bro...i do remember you....i visited you a few days back but couldn't find any posts...nez...thanks for the wishes....Indian aint that bad....just a few things out there which needs correction...matter of time i guess...:)

    ReplyDelete